Nuholani proudly presents Ori Tahiti Workshops, for women and girls, with the fabulous Leolani.
SUNDAY, 22 MARCH 2015
12-1 PM- Ori Tahiti Basics & Technique- $25
1:30 - 3 PM - Ote'a Routine (Fast Drums) - $40
*** Pre-book both sessions for ONLY $55 ***
The first 10 people to book & pay will receive a free Ori Tahiti Packet (Valued at $20)- which will include a printed description of basic steps, and any lyrics, stories, translations involved, a CD with select music from the workshop and a beautiful flower to wear in your hair.
BOOKINGS ESSENTIAL: Request a booking form for Leolani's workshop in the side-bar of our blog, or the Contact page.
Born & raised in Los Angeles, Leolani Gallardo has 20 years of dance experience in competing, performing and teaching internationally.
With a Bachelors Degree in World Arts and Cultures from UCLA, Leolani has gone on to dance for Tokyo Disney, completing a yearlong contract in 2009. The following year, 2010, she was an assistant choreographer on the hit show "So You Think You Can Dance' helping with the debut of the very first Tahitian dance performance the show had ever seen.
In 2012, Leolani lived and trained in Tahiti for three months and competed in the 130th annual Heiva I Tahiti competition with dance troupe Hitireva. Under the direction of Kehaulani Chanquy, Hitireva won 2nd place in the Hua Tau, professional division category.
In the last 5 years Leolani has travelled and taught workshops extensively throughout the US, Tahiti, Mexico, New Zealand, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong, sharing her love for Tahitian Dance.
"My goal is to use this style of dance to empower women! All women deserve to express themselves artistically and deserve to feel beautiful and sensual. Ori Tahiti is the catalyst for this exploration and creative expression. I aspire to inspire my students creativeity, encourage other dancers in my community to follow their dreams, and foster respect for all Pacific Island Cultures."
Check out these video links of Leolani!
-2014 Leolani performs Live on the Jimmy Kimmel Show with Jason Derulo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsC3l90iFqQ
2015 - Show Reel of Leolani teaching in Taiwan http://youtu.be/p3XQiVGGuvk
2015 - Leolani Performing at a Showcase in Taiwan
-2014 Leolani at Pasifika Vibes Brisbane performing her solo choreography to Aue Kapaku. http://youtu.be/PRVJVYwyhgw
-Leolani featured in Jason Derulo Music Video “Talk Dirty.” Los Angeles, CA. July 2013. Island Def Jam, Universal Music Group.
-Hura ‘Ai’Ai, Farereiraa I Tahiti Solo Competition, Papeete, French Polynesia (July 2012)
2nd place, Vahine 18-25 division
-Assistant Choreographer on 'So You Think You Can Dance' July 2010
Melbourne Dancers are invited to join us for the #MoombaParade2015 in our presentation of The Spirit of Polynesia. It's the largest parade in Victoria and we are thrilled to represent our Polynesian Culture here in Melbourne! Ages 10+ Polynesian dance experience preferred but not required!
We are also delighted to announce we are collaborating with Tama Tatau, Nesian Pearl, The Victoria Maori Wardens and last but not least Sounds of Polynesia! Look out Moomba!
@tamatatau @nesianpearl @mena_nesianpearl #TheSpiritOfPolynesia#moomba2015 #moombaparade #polynesiandancers #melbournehula#nuholani #tamatatau #nesianpearl #soundsofpolynesian#victoriamaoriwardens
SEE DETAILS FOR THE PARADE BELOW
That being said, we hope you join us! Fill out a request form and if you have any questions contact NOELANI 0499 994 111
Pacific Islanders to be featured in Melbourne's most celebrated cultural event
WHITE NIGHT 2015
Nuholani is excited and proud to present a new project to feature Pacific islanders and Pacific island dances in Melbourne.
Ausdance Victoria and VicHealth are funding a 12-week dance program culminating in a performance at the annual White Night Festival. The festival is set for 21 February and our 12 week dance program will commence in December. Please see details below and share with everyone you know who may be interested in performing!
We will also be
· Pacific Islanders and islanders at heart
· Dance experience preferred but not required
· Ages 12+
WHAT: Perform in the annual WHITE NIGHT FESTIVAL with professional performing artists NUHOLANI.
· What is White Night?
· Source: http://whitenightmelbourne.com.au/about-white-night-melbourne/
· "White Night Melbourne is Australia’s most celebrated cultural event. Inspired by the international Nuit Blanche movement, White Night Melbourne is an all-night, free cultural event with visual art, illuminations, music, food, theatre, sport, fashion, film, design and performances on display. The event runs from 7pm to 7am, and is held within the centre of Melbourne, with activities in city streets, parklands, laneways, public spaces and cultural institutions.
· White Night Melbourne is a unique event as it runs over a full 12 hour period, allowing you to choose an arrival time that suits you. In previous years, peak attendance periods have been experienced between 9pm when the projections are visible, through to approximately 11.30pm, with generally smaller crowds after midnight."
· KINDRED STUDIOS - 212A WHITEHALL STREET, YARRAVILLE
When: 8 DEC 2014 6:30-8PM
· White Night Festival - 21 February
· There are many reasons why... but here are a few for now.
· Nuholani is passionate about sharing stories of the Pacific through song and dance using contemporary and traditional movement. We are proud of our Polynesian heritage and to be contributing to the rich cultural fabric of this beautiful city.
· Ausdance and VicHealth are working together to provide fun dance initiatives to promote healthy living.